World Cup Facts
By the time you’re reading this, the 2010 World Cup is well under way. Here are a few facts about both the organization and the history of the tournament.
• The 2010 World Cup will be played in 10 venues throughout South Africa. The finals will be played on July 11.
• 32 teams, including the United States, will play in the 2010 World Cup. Thirty-one teams are chosen through a series of qualifying tournaments played the year prior to the tournament. The host country is always assured a spot in the tournament.
• Since its inaugural tournament in 1930, 17 different nations have hosted the tournament. Germany has hosted twice, once as West Germany in 1974 and again as Germany in 2006.
• Brazil has appeared in every World Cup and has won a record five championships.
• Only one player from the first World Cup is still alive. One-hundred year-old Francisco Varallo played for Argentina in 1930.